1. Don't forget to follow us on Twitter @TeaTimeAnimates
  2. Check out our new 'Industry Links' tab to see info on some of our friends in the industry!
  3. Welcome to Tea Time Animation! Please introduce yourself in the 'introductions' thread.

New Philadelphia Chapter!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Egg, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Egg

Egg Tea Time Staff Staff Member Tea Time Staff

Hello world!
    We are the start of a new Tea Time chapter in Philadelphia! My name is Vincent, or as my friends like to refer to me as Egg. Currently our group consists of 3 members: myself, Frank and Greg.
    To give a brief history of ourselves, we have all attended University of the Arts studying animation. I myself currently work as an animator at an independent game studio, PHL Collective. We have been around for only 3 years and we are steadily growing. Our most notable title is Clusterpuck 99. We have also done work for Cartoon Network, and hopefully there will be more games in the future!
    Frank is a Freelance Character Animator working primarily out of NYC. His work has primarily been short film and commercial, with the short Film 'Danny and the wild Bunch', being of note.
    Greg is about as generalist as it gets, jumping around from hand drawn 2d animation, cgi for vfx and interactive media, stop motion, and any other medium he can use. His ultimate goal is to create a second superior incorruptible hollywood on the East coast.
    If you have any questions feel free to ask any of us! We hope to be a great addition to Tea Time!

Attached Files:

Jeffrey Hoover and Lana like this.
  2. QuillyHugs

QuillyHugs New Member

Welcome to Tea Time! Curious as people in the industry what brings you to tea time, as in what are your goals as part of the club, and what do you hope to gain from it (could be nothing, critiques, or just friends tbh)?
    Egg likes this.
  3. Lana

Lana Admin Staff Member Tea Time Staff Animator

Pssh. I'm part of the industry, you en't never given me the third degree.
    Tea Time is for everyone!

Welcome Tea Time Philly! We <3 you.
    Egg likes this.
  4. Frank Patterson

Frank Patterson New Member

Haha. It's ok. Out here the 3 of us personally do not know many animators. Figured this would be a great way to extend some hands out to the west, while also hopefully finding more people out east like us (sounds like I'm talking about us like we are a dying race.). Crits, along with friends are kind of a big reason, But like I said, also to hopefully gather a community of animators from the east and bridge out to you folks where the sun sets. you guys have and awesome community and we are super happy to be a part of it!
    Lana likes this.
  5. Frank Patterson

Frank Patterson New Member

Just realized I probably should have replied in here. Haha. It's ok. Out here the 3 of us personally do not know many animators. Figured this would be a great way to extend some hands out to the west, whether it be for crits, advice, jobs, or just other industry people to speak with, while also hopefully finding more people out east like us (sounds like I'm talking about us like we are a dying race.). It would be a nice place for us to post about any jobs we know of out here if people in the area are interested, or people out west are looking to migrate. Hopefully gather a community of animators from the east and bridge out to you folks where the sun sets. You guys have and awesome community and we are super happy to be a part of it!
  6. Lauren Kvalheim

Lauren Kvalheim New Member

Hi Egg, Frank, and Greg!
    I actually got to play your game at Unity Unite Boston in the 'Made with Unity' room. It was a ton of fun! Congrats on getting that out the door.
    Welcome to Tea Time! It's a great group of folks and an awesome resource.
    Egg likes this.
  7. QuillyHugs

QuillyHugs New Member

Lol but you were a student with Tea Time before being in the industry. I was just curious. Cool to see TT get attention from non-students.

Thanks for the response! That's awesome you guys wanted to branch out, what's the animation scene like outside of where you work? Is the next nearby studio that is involved in the industry (game or animation/vfx) very far from your guys' location?
  8. Jeffrey Hoover

Jeffrey Hoover Tea Time Staff Staff Member Tea Time Staff

Welcome! Glad to have you all joining us. Are you all aware of the Pittsburgh, PA group? We haven't heard anything from them in a long time. I believe we have their contact info laying around here somewhere, maybe you could connect with them as well.
  9. Lana

Tyler Palladino -- one of the Pittsburghnians just tweeted at me recently, so I know they aren't dead.
  10. Lana

Sorry -- just to clarify -- You're wondering if there are animation-related businesses physically close to where I work?
  11. Egg

Goal wise, I'm always looking to improve, meet new people, learn or teach new things to people and have fun. All of the above I guess!

Glad you enjoyed it! I wasn't able to make it to that event but its great to hear it made quite an impression.

I do remember briefly hearing about them. I do travel there often to visit family so maybe one day during the summer I could do a surprise visit and bring my tea kettle.
  12. Egg

Around the Philadelphia area the animation scene is a little scattered between the colleges. As far as big vfx or studios I'm not really sure, there was (or still is? not sure) a big Newgrounds presence here like Oney and Stamper, but I cant recall if they are still around here.
    As for myself, PHL is just brand new so its mostly us and small 3-4 man indie teams. In terms of big studios I think DC or NYC are the closest spots, but thats usually an hour to 3 hours of a bus ride.
  13. Lana

SPEAKING OF NEWGROUNDS:
    I have a good buddy, who is an incredible animator for Cuphead. (see his work featured here in Time's feature article on the game) He's going to be in town for some newgrounds thing, he heard about Tea Time Philly and was interested to see if y'all would be interested in getting together! He would be happy to do a draw overs on 3D Student Work, and give further critiques for anyone else interested! He also said he'd be down to answer any industry questions folks might have in some sort of informal Q&A.

He is SO awesome and SO funny. He spoke with me at GDC this year -- I know this is pretty short notice, but I figured maybe you could snag a bunch of students and head to even some bar or something...interested?
  14. Egg

That would be fantastic! Definitely interested. Everyone here at the office is amazed by Cuphead. The animation jr & seniors at Uarts are just finished with their finals and I should be able to get a group and maybe a couple of other people to join.
  15. Lana

Fantastic!
    Where do you think a good place to hold this would be? We can take this to an e-mail thread and I can put you in touch with him directly.

Oh, and if you don't take lots of photos, you will die.
  16. Egg

I know of several bars to go to. But I will be going to Uarts tonight to talk with some professors to see if they will allow us to use any of their facilities. I will take many many photos.
  17. Lana

That's how you do.

Just e-mail introduced y'all.
  18. Sophie Evans

Sophie Evans New Member

Hey!! I think I played Clusterpuck 99 at GDC or something! Very cool and congrats :)